Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Writing Recycling

March 1 question: Have you ever pulled out a really old story and reworked it? Did it work out?

Yes! Who hasn't? Or why wouldn't you?

Most of the writers in the Insecure Writer's Support Group are fiction writers so I'm sure this question is really meant for those old half written stories that never got finished. But, as a nonfiction writer, I have often pulled out old blog posts, old ideas jotted down or even an already published piece to rework it and republish it.

As a freelance writer you have to find a way to get the most from your writing. Usually it's rewriting a piece with a different angle for a different publication. Or expanding on a shorter post to make it more in-depth.

I'm still in my writing funk and not doing much, if any, writing. Let alone any rewriting. I'm still not sure what that is about.

Maybe I'll go through some of my old stuff and see if there is anything to refresh and renew my writing spark.



This post is a part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, a monthly meeting of writers who over think, under write and just want people to like them.

3 comments:

  1. I admire freelance writers. You guys work hard. I haven't gone through any of my old stuff. Perhaps it's time:) Don't worry, the writing will come when the time is right. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding inspiration in old blog posts. It's a great source. I've had to do a couple of author-related public speaking events, and I took a pair of old blog posts as the basis of my talk. It worked out wonderfully.

    Hope you find your way out of your writing funk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you know, I never thought of what non-fiction writers might do. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete